Legal Essays — Planning and Writing
The article highlights the best ideas for legal essays: writing, topics, tips for any struggling student. So, you are assigned a task. How to start and what to do first? Firsts of all, brainstorm. Is the topic or theme clear, of you may need to consult your instructors? Conduct research, find proper sources and law cases if required. Prepare an outline and a draft. At this stage do not skip the formatting, as it takes a lot of time to proofread for the mistakes and even more time to correct the format issues.
At this point, make sure that essay heading and sub-heading correspond to the topic you are covering. The title is the first thing which your readers will see, so it needs to be understandable and informative. Remember about your target audience to create a maximum appeal from the very beginning. Next important element is the introduction of your essay. There you include the explanation of each part you are covering later as well as the purpose and thesis statement of your essay. The main body must be subdivided, and it usually has three paragraphs. Each part should have the topic sentence, quotes, evidence, their possible explanation or interpretation, and your own thoughts about it. The last key element is the essay conclusion. It states your purposes and provides the readers with the issues which might be covered in the following researches.
What Are Legal Essays — Primary Purposes
As you've just read, the structure of the essay doesn't look difficult, but what if you stumble upon the “What are the legal essays” question? Keep on reading and master this type of essay easily. Consult our legal studies essay guide in case you face with any difficulty in writing.
- DO NOT use 1st person singular.
- In legal essay writing, avoid various colloquial words and phrases as well as clichés.
- Use formal language, remember that contractions should also be avoided.
- Mind your grammar and double check its correct usage. You won't get a mark just because the content and the topic seem to look good.
- Emotional language isn't the choice for such essays, so make sure you don't include your personal point of view and don't involve emotional context.
- Your essay arguments must be sophisticated and supported by credible sources, although clear and simple for readers to understand. However, don't mix it with the simple language – remember, you are writing an academic paper.
- Don't make a statement without the authority mentioned. Instead, you don't need to do it when speaking about accepted facts and obvious things.
- Focus on your essay question, do not just retell the sources. Vey common students' mistake is when they don't answer legal issues in their works and cannot apply laws to hypothetical scenario situations.
- Undertake profound individual research, your lectures and course literature are not enough for an excellent essay. Use your sources appropriately and adequately.
How to Write Legal Essays — Methods to Use
As the continuation of the topic “how do I write a legal essay,” let's speak about techniques you can use. Depending on the topic you are working on and your essay type, you can use such methods as:
- classification – to group similar objects;
- definition – where you introduce the new term by giving the definition; comparison and contrast — where the author explores and explains; certain similarities or differences between two or more subjects;
- analogy —when we make a particular topic more understandable by providing similar examples;
- cause and effect — where we face the results of the specific situation and describe them.
Legal Essay Structure Peculiarites
So, what is the common answer to the “how to write good legal essays”? The answer is “Learn to be independent and to work individually.” We already mentioned that the legal essay could be structured according to the common rules and your legal essay conclusion needs to summarise the mentioned info, provide the conclusion of your findings and restate your introduction.
Here are several ideas for better structure:
- Have a brief introductory sentence to move the reader into the next text passage.
- The best way to introduce an essay to the readers is to explain your essay structure in the introduction.
- It's a good idea to mention general facts related to the main topic, but not focus on them.
- Determine the key question, avoid hypothetical statements.
Proper Legal Essay Format
As soon as you are done with the majority of the written part, the issue of the format will pop in your head. So, which legal essay writing format is the most appropriate and when? First of all, check the instructions your professor gave you. Very often students get work samples which they use as guidelines. Pay attention to the format of the sample and make sure your paper complies with it and other instructions. Second, cite sources properly. The correct citation format depends on the academic writing style format chosen by your professor. Next stage is to check if the spacing, font, margins and other elements meet the requirements. Don't forget about the heading required by some of the formats.
Legal Essay Tips for Students
Here's legal essay writing tips, and let's study them step-by-step.
- Find information from various sources.
- Take notes in your notebook.
- If you weren't given a topic, choose one or several topics based on your readings.
- Make a draft variant of the essay outline.
- Continue reading from sources connected to the topic you are working on.
- Start writing. You don't have to revise now.
- Make sure to include an argument in your paper.
- Cite the sources properly due to the academic style you are to write.
- If you have several similar quotes or ideas, include them all, and choose the most relevant one while editing.
- Reread your writings and start editing.
- Count the words.
- Add/change parts which you didn't like.
- Include necessary information and citations, if needed.
- Rewrite confusing words and sentences.
- Remember to format the essay.
Good Legal Essays Topics
Here is the list of legal essays topics you can use to write a good paper.
- School crime accidents: who is responsible when a child commits a crime?
- Is it legal or illegal to deny a Holocaust?
- Code of conduct on freelance platforms.
- The legal issues of organ transplantation.
- How to deal with plagiarism issues on the social media?
- Technical interview task – should candidates be paid for completing them?
- Gender discrimination at work. How to fight for your rights legally.
- Drones in our life. How to maintain privacy in the 21st century.
- Cryptocurrency regulation and the world's economic situation.
- Gun – weapon or mean of protection?
Use our tips and prompts to write a perfect essay on legal topic without worries!